Monday, March 23, 2009

World of Warcraft

I've played World of Warcraft for over four years now. It was my first online game of its sort and I immediately fell in love with the emersive nature of it. The game was an escape from the stress of work or anything else. It is a hobby. Some play sports, work on cars, watch TV, read, etc. and it is a hobby just like those. But ultimately, the game's content didn't change that much over time (sure there were patches with some new places, but it was basically the same game). The part that kept me playing was the community. The guild of hundreds of people I played with are friends much like you find in real life. But there is always a self-imposed distance from them as well. Some of the regulars that I played with each week got to the point were we went beyond the in-game names, events, etc. Some of my friends talk about their wives and kids and TV shows and sports and work and so on ... just like I talk with my RL friends in person. And so, the lines blur from my network of friends I see at work or weekends (especially since some of them play the game with me) and those online.

But of late, the game doesn't bring me much joy or escape. I play due to committments made to those others in groups that need 10 or 25 on the team to complete objectives. I play because it is expected, but I am pretty much done with it. I've been cutting back my hours and days more and more anyway. Now I told them I was leaving the east coast playing times (the 25 person team) and that leaves me with two nights a week from 8 to 11. And I'm seriously thinking of dropping those too. In some ways I feel like that is my last connection to these online friends though. But really it is only a handful of them anyway. I guess I'm having a problem breaking the ties because I'm not positive I won't want to play again in the future and I also know that I won't carry on the friendships with those guys if not in-game. We don't regularly email each other or post on forums ... it would basically be saying goodbye.

I am at a point in my life where I want to take on a new/productive activity. I will most likely go back to writing a novel or maybe go back to school (if I can afford it). I will be using the former playing time to do this. But, this is also a time when I don't relish losing more friends. so it is not an easy move. Today I was home sick and in the past I would have played WoW ... I had no interest in doing that this time. However, I was bored out of my mind and feeling like I need to retrain myself to use time for something else. It is so easy to check out in WoW, just like others check out by watching TV. I don't want to check out of life anymore, but I really need to get back into the swing of things. I feel the pain in using those forgotten muscles.

1 comment:

blognut said...

Tough decision, but I have a feeling you'll make the right one. And if you do decide to give up the game, I'm sure you'll find another source of friendships that take the place of those lost.

A friend of mine tells me (constantly) that people come into our lives for a reason, a season, or a lifetime. These may be seasonal friendships and you may be ready to move on....